Over-the-top (OTT) advertising continues to be extremely important and effective for businesses in all industries and sizes. This is because it allows you to hyper-target and make meaningful connections with your audience. This doesn't mean TV is dead, though.
In fact, effectively integrating your TV and digital channels (like OTT!) will allow you to expand your reach, utilize a variety of content forms, create seamless consumer experiences, add and improve touchpoints, increase trust and credibility, and more.
Still wondering how it all works? Here are the answers to some of the most popular OTT advertising FAQs.
1.) What is OTT Advertising?
Starting with the basics, OTT refers to the process of going 'over-the-top' of cable and directly to viewers via a reliable internet connection. OTT advertising, therefore, uses this method to reach viewers tuned into a streaming service or device. Much like TV ads, OTT ads use video content to communicate a brand's message to the viewer. The difference is that OTT is a digital channel, so it can be more effectively measured, altered, and customized to the viewer.
2.) Why is Connected-TV Advertising (CTV) a Great Method For Digital Advertising?
Connected-TV advertising is a great method for digital advertising because it allows you to:
- Utilize Video Content to Reach Viewers — In 2020 alone, a shocking 96% of people increased their consumption of video content.
- Track and Measure Results — Leads to more informed decision-making.
- Make Real-Time Adjustments — Respond and optimize when needed!
- Experiment with Different Strategies and Techniques — Drives more creative thinking, insights, and innovations.
4.) What Devices and Streaming Channels/Apps Can Businesses Publish On With OTT Advertising?
Streaming channels deliver content like shows and movies to audiences through the internet via their website or app. This includes popular brands like Netflix, Disney Plus, YouTube, Peacock, HBO Max, etc.
Streaming devices, also known as Connected-TV (CTV) devices, are gadgets that connect viewers to their favorite streaming services. This includes gaming consoles like Xbox and PlayStation, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Chromecast, and Smart TVs.
Brands can publish on any one or more of these devices and channels/apps that support OTT campaigns. Platforms like Netflix and Disney+ are not ad based, so you’ll want to find channels that support ads. Your goal should be to run your OTT ad on platforms and at times that match when and where your target audience will be most likely to see them. A good media partner will have data-backed evidence of viewership trends and can help you formulate a strategy.
4.) What Are The Benefits of OTT/Connected-TV Advertising?
The significant benefits of implementing OTT/connected-TV advertising into your marketing mix include:
- Hyper-Targeting Capabilities
- Data Analytics — Tracks and measures performance results
- Can reach a more substantial portion of your target audience or new audiences (expected to increase another 20% in the next five years)
- OTT ads are highly effective
- Viewers are more engaged and open to receiving ads (60% of subscribers prefer watching ads if it means paying less for the service)
5.) What Audience Data Targeting Can Businesses Use For OTT Advertising?
Audience data targeting is much more advanced than most other advertising channels. In fact, you can target based on:
- Geographical Location — Particular counties, states, cities, etc.
- Demographics — Income, age, gender, etc.
- Interests/Topics — Create segments based on the topics your target audience is most interested in.
6.) How Do You Measure the Performance of OTT Campaigns?
How you measure the performance of your OTT campaigns depends on the goal of your campaign and the initiatives you've chosen to achieve that goal. However, most marketers track and measure performance by monitoring the following:
- Brand Lift
- Brand Reach
- Online Visits and Traffic to your Website
- Offline Lift
- Metrics such as engagement, video completion rate, attribution tracking, etc.
7.) Should You Combine OTT With Other Forms of Advertising?
Absolutely! OTT has, without a doubt, become an essential part of advertising, but it should not be your ONLY form of advertising.
Just think of how much more can be done when you utilize TV ads in your OTT ads and cross-target consumers on their mobile and other digital channels (like social media and email) following OTT ads. In fact, Research has found that more than half (55%) of viewers are on their smartphones while watching TV, 76% are checking their email, and 71% are on social media.
Moreover, every form of advertising your brand participates in should be well integrated, in tune with your brand message and values, and deliver seamless experiences at every touchpoint.
8.) Why Partnering With a Media Company Can Make All The Difference
Partnering with a media company will allow you the unique opportunity to maximize your advertising potential. Why? Because a media company will optimize your opportunities in both TV advertising and OTT. TV and digital is the most powerful marketing combination in the industry, often pulling in better results since:
- Digital adds more touchpoints to TV.
- TV adds more trust to digital.
- Both channels can work seamlessly together to move customers from one platform to another.
Utilizing both will be your key to successfully reaching and resonating with your audience.